Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Partners in Living

I wanted to share with you all a very special picture. The woman in the picture with me, Mary Lou, is mentally handicapped, she is however, a fantastically fun person! A week ago first year students interested in service moved in a day early to participate in our first year day of service. I lead a group to a park where we met with Partners in Living, two organizations that support the mentally handicapped communities in Dayton. They come together a couple times a year for socials. This was one of them. We had a GREAT time!

I even got asked out by a guy named Elmer. . . Elmer said, "Maybe someday . . . you could uh. . . come take me to a movie. . . and uh. . . maybe afterwards we could go to a park. . . and well . . . if you gave me your number I could call you. . . to uh. . .set a date. . . " I responded, "Elmer, are you asking me out on a date?" He put his head down and laughed. . . he was so adorable. . .it was like being asked out in middle school!

Here is another great picture. . . I was leading a sing-a-long session, Row Row Row Your Boat, Old McDonald (a favorite!), BINGO . . . and with my special friend above, Rolling on the River (WITH hand motions!)


Below: Rolling on the River!






2 comments:

Katie Naab said...

your day of volunteering looks like it was great!

I miss you and hope you are well.

:) Katie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.